Check Your Sump Pumps During Rainstorms
When the rain pours do you check your sump pump?
A proper working sump pump can save you considerable amounts of money after a significant rainfall event. Being a proactive owner during rainstorms and checking your home or businesses sump pump will help prevent damage or reduce the damage that can occur. When damage happens SERVPRO of Farmington is here to help.
If you answered no to the first question here are some things to consider checking:
- Is there power to the sump pump? Check that it is plugged in and the breaker is not tripped.
- Is the float free of any debris and away from the side wall where it won’t work properly?
- Is the inlet free of any debris that could prevent it from pumping the water out?
- Does the pump work? An easy way to test this is by filling the pit with enough water to reach the float of the sump pump to trigger the pump.
- Check where the sump pump drains. Ensure that it drains far enough from the foundation that the water doesn't leak right back in.